Thursday, October 8, 2009

Happiness is a myth.....



...invented to make us buy things.

I read this book in college called 'Shantaram' and am thinking of re-reading it.The guy who wrote the novel based it on his own life experiences, and man, are they REAL. He escaped from an Australian prison, lived in the slums of Mumbai, and fought as a rebel in Afghanistan. And I'm pretty sure was in a semi-successful German rock band (but thats not in the book.)

Anyhow. There's a character named Karla in the book that I want to be. I hate that about books. Characters can be so cool and full of epic one line quotes that sum up life in profound ways. No one ever writes about characters that live at home with their parents and work a payless internship while trying to figure it all out... WAIT> WE SHOULD!!

Karla gems:

“Sometimes I think that’s what heaven is- a place where everybody’s happy because nobody loves anybody else, ever.”

“People always hurt us with their trust. The surest way to hurt someone you like, is to put all your trust in him.”

“I could never respect a man who didn’t have the good sense to be at least a little afraid of me.”

“I take everything personally- that’s what being a person is all about.”

"I’d only give you advice if I didn’t care what happens to you.”

1 comment:

  1. sounds awesome. especially like the quote about taking things personally.

    toootallly like whats the meaning of life right now. thinking of movin home for a few months to get my head right and whatnot. and then like put bikes lanes in detroit/ start art space etc. yeeeeeeeah. good things. let's chat soons.

    ReplyDelete